Honour your mothers
Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right. 2 "Honor your father and mother"-which is the first commandment with a promise— 3 "that it may go well with you and that you may enjoy long life on the earth." NIV
Today is Mother’s Day in Cameroon. Mother’s Day is a celebration to honour the mother of the family as well as motherhood and the influence of mothers in the society. It is celebrated on different days in many parts of the world, most commonly in the months of March or May. Mother’s Day in USA was celebrated on 8 May 2022. While dates and celebrations vary, Mother’s Day traditionally involves presenting mothers or moms with flowers, cards & other gifts. One thing we need to understand is that mothers don’t only mean they have biological children, motherhood has to do with the role every woman plays in the lives of children and humanity.
Today we shall see how we can truly honour our mothers on daily basis.
(1) Thank her or appreciate her. Mothering can be a nearly thankless job. Mothers do so many things without notice. Take time to appreciate your mother for all that she did to you and all that she is doing now. Don’t be an ungrateful child. Thank you usually goes with gifts. Proverbs 16:24 (NKJV) says, “Pleasant words are like a honeycomb, Sweetness to the soul and health to the bones”
(2) Serve her. Please do something to help your mom. Don’t only end today, continue to do good to your mother.
(3) Obey her. If you are still a child living at home with your mom, this is an important one for you. Don’t disobey your parents at all. They are a blessing to you.
(4) Advance her legacy. No mother is perfect, but consider the good things your mother instilled in you. She may not have taught you matters of faith or compassion for others but she may have taught you how to cook. Advance that legacy. Happy Mother’s Day to all.
- Thank you Lord for our mothers.
- Father, grand good health and wisdom for our mothers
- Lord, may our mothers live to enjoy their children’s children.